DJ WeeGee has been turning London and beyond onto his eclectic tastes for over thirty years. Known for playing soundtracks, jazz, lounge and the weird and wonderful it is reggae though which is one of Weeg’s main loves, creating a unique WeeGee sound. Here WeeGee selects his ten favourite desert island discs – come selector!
1. Black Man Get Up Pon Foot – Welton Irie (South East Music 7″)
Heavy, heavy deep vibes, with scorching dub side complete with a rewind built in! This is one of my all-time favourite reggae tunes.
2. Heart and Soul – Junior Byles (Errol T. 7″)
More deepness from the sweet vocals of Junior Byles, this is a killer version side with the amazing Errol T. at the controls.
3. Walk On By – Motion (Blue Inc. 12″)
Sublime Brit jazz reggae stylings from George Oban, the original bassist with Aswad and featuring his wife on vocals. My favourite version of ‘Walk On By’ fullstop!
4. Run Run – Delroy Wilson (Coxsone 7”)
Incredibly solid rock steady cut – Delroy’s finest moment on vinyl I reckon.
5. Melting Pot – Dillinger (Wind 7″)
Classic talkover business from Dillinger on the much used but awesome ‘Stalag’ rhythm – everything in this tune is spot on from the lyrics to the mix.
6. Isn’t It Time To See – Tetrack (Rockers 7″)
A Silver Camel Sound System power play from the late seventies.A fantastic roots cut from the Augustus Pablo stable – check the way the dub effects seep their way into the vocal side from the dub side.
7. Sunburst – Tribesman (Direct Records 12″)
More gorgeous Brit jazz/reggae, this time from a band that was formed at my school, with hints and influences from the Finsbury Park Greek/Cypriot community that they lived amongst.
8. Send Another Moses – Lopez Walker (Phase One 7″)
Killer vocal and an even better dub side – Phase 1 in full effect.
9. Bloodsuckers – Pablo Gad (Burning Sounds 12″)
A proper Brit reggae steppers tune if ever there was one, with the dub section, almost seven minutes of it, going off into uncharted territory.
10. Blood of Africa – King Tubby (Fay Music Lp)
Classic King Tubby dub with strong modal overtones – check the horns in particular – awesome.